Pages

Friday 18 September 2020

Lidl Newgate Express Speedy Noodle Spicy Curry Flavour (cup)

 

Everything about this looks cheap and nasty. In colour and appearance it's an attempt to cash in on the awesome Pot Noodle brand, but lacks the humour, the professionalism, and the slaggish class of Pot Noodle. The lid is thin and tore as I was trying to open it. You look inside at this miserable looking heap of dried noods with barely any powder. Just this small, insignificant dried lump of yellow huddled in a corner of the white cup. And where's the mango sauce? Well, that was hidden inside the noods. I poured on the water and stirred before I found it. And it was a joyless unmarked and uncolour plastic sachet. No cost saving unturned.  My hopes were not up. 


Then I started eating.  I'd had these nods before, and have reviewed them twice before under slightly different names: Vitasia Speedy Noodle Spicy Curry. And I remembered that they are way tastier than you expect them to be. It just works. Not too spicy. Not too sweet. A good balance. And they have that comfortable gooey sticky mouthfeel that is so typical of the best British noods. Asian style noods are either watery or dry. British noods are thick, moist, comforting. 

I like these noods. To be honest I'm not a huge fan of Lidl. I think their products can be good, but they can also be bland or overly sweet - simply going for the cheapest, easiest, most commercial product that is going to appeal to most people. They head downwards for the lowest common denominator. They are not looking to make distinctive, interesting, challenging, exciting food products. They just want products that are going to appeal to the most people. If what you want is the bland, slightly sweet, everyday familiarity, and are not interesting in trying something unusual, unique, interesting, with complex and fascinating flavours, then Lidl is your bag. And just sometimes, as with these noods, the familiar and the comforting is just what I want. 

Yes. This hits the spot. 



Date: Sept 2020   Score: 8 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a noody message!